- Oct '19 - Pauwstraat 13A, 3512 TG Utrecht
Now open: Trainings for the Not-Yet (14 Sep 2019–12 Jan 2020) at BAKbasisTrainings for the Not-Yet
An exhibition as a series of trainings for a future of being together otherwise, convened with a multitude of collaborators by Jeanne van Heeswijk and BAK, basis voor actuele kunst, Utrecht
Jeanne van Heeswijk, Laura Raicovich, Adelita Husni-Bey, Patricia Kaersenhout, Shumaila Anwar, Habiba Chrifi-Hammoudi, Joy Mariama Smith, Adrian Piper, Denise Valentine, Nancy Jouwe, Black Quantum Futurism, Chloë Bass, Beatrice Catanzaro, Kolar Aparna, Mehbratu Efrem Gebreab, Yasmine Eid-Sabbagh, Clara Balaguer, Gabriel Fontana, Fran Ilich, Jun Saturay, Ying Que, Bakudapan Food Study Group, Michael Rakowitz, Afrikaanderwijk Coöperatie, Superuse Studios, Freehouse, De Voorkamer, W.A.G.E, Philadelphia Assembled, Staci Bu Shea, Laced-Up Project, Whitney Stark, Carmen Papalia, Zein Nakhoda, Homebaked Community Land Trust (CLT), Homebaked Bakery, Homegrown Collective, Selçuk Balamir, Joska Ottjes, Irene Calabuch Mirón, Ethel Baraona Pohl, We Are Here, Elke Uitentuis, Abdulaal Hussein, Paul de Bruyne, New Women Connectors, Lieneke Dwars, Stranded FM, Welkom in Utrecht, Gabriel Erlach, Ultra-red, Mustapha Seray Bah, Goldsmith.Company, Extinction Rebellion Utrecht, Angel Bat Dawid, the Basic Activist Kitchen
- Jun '19 -
Trainings for the Not-Yet, An exhibition as a series of trainings for a future of being together otherwiseBAK announcement: With great pride and excitement, BAK, basis voor actuele kunst in Utrecht announces Trainings for the Not-Yet, a project convened by artist Jeanne van Heeswijk. An exhibition that unfolds through a series of trainings in civic engagement, radical collectivity, and active empowerment, the project brings together collaborators from various fields and communities to create and practice alternative imaginings of being together in the face of the pressing emergencies that shape the world today.
- Oct '18 - Utrecht
BAK Fellowship 2018/2019Proud to announce to be one of the ten Fellows who got a 2018/2019 research position at BAK, basis voor actuele kunst in Utrecht. I am going to develop a curriculum of #CommunityLearnings and developing test sites to enact trainings for the “Not Yet.” #TrainingForTheNotYet
- Sep '17 - 2525 Pennsylvania Ave, Philadelphia
Philadelphia AssembledPhiladelphia Assembled joins art and civic engagement. Shaped by hundreds of collaborators, it tells a story of radical community building and active resistance. Challenging, inspiring, and as big as the city, Philadelphia Assembled asks: how can we collectively shape our futures?
- Apr '17 - Homebaked, Liverpool
'This is not about gentrification’A cooperative bakery in the shadow of Liverpool FC’s stadium is aiming to transform a derelict terrace into affordable homes for the local community. As Liverpool FC’s Anfield stadium gleams in the April sunshine, the abandoned, steel-shuttered houses cowering in its shadow serve as a poignant reminder of the impact developments can have on their host communities.
- Sep '16 - Veem House for Performance Amsterdam
Book launch What's the Use?What's the Use? Constellations of Art, History, and Knowledge (Valiz, Van Abbemuseum, L'Internationale, 2016), is a collection of essays on the 'uses' of art. The starting point of the Reader is that art is an integral part of social, economic, and political processes, and that it is best understood in dialogue with these contexts, rather than as a 'thing in itself'. In their contributions, artists and writers explore the exchange between art, use, knowledge and history; now and in the past.
- recent events
- sun. 12 jan '20Trainings for the Not-Yet (14 Sep 2019–12 Jan 2020)
- sun. 22 dec '19#TFTNY - Closing dinner with Bakudapan Food Study Group
- wed. 18 dec '19#TFTNY 22 - Kitchen Atlases Training with Bakudapan
- wed. 18 dec '19#TFTNY - International Migrant Day: a walk by the Basic Activist Kitchen
- wed. 11 dec '19#TFTNY 20 - Exploring Untimely Togetherness Training with Beatrice Catanzaro
- wed. 11 dec '19#TFTNY 21 - Training for the Underwater(ed) Land with Qanat
- Mar 23, 2020Beautiful Denise transitioned this Sunday morning. Her stories, wisdom and love sparked change in all of us. Rising, claiming, rooting, caring, this is how we Move.” @storymama01 #phlassembled #TFTNY
- Feb 13, 2020Great to reconnect with Alicia. We continue fighting for a just world. Sweet picture of We Are The World #TBT #youngsters #dutchpavilion #VeniceBiennale Last week Lilet Breddels and Alicia Framis invited me to @sandberginstituut Commoners’ Society, temporary master program as guest faculty.
- Jan 8, 2020After 23 trainings #TrainingsForTheNotYet @bakbasis is coming to an end. As we are wrapping up with a last collective editing training this is also the last week to visit the exhibition Trainings for the Not-Yet! #tftny
- Dec 22, 2019Happy Holidays #trainingsforthenotyet
- Nov 28, 2019Trainings for the Not-Yet, Week 11, training 17 What a journey its been so far I am grateful for all fantastic trainers, trainings, food, participants and visitors who have been sharing their knowledge, embodied experiences and their practice. Still a few trainings coming up, #TFTNY @BAKbasis is coming towards its end. Hope to see you
- Nov 15, 2019In solidarity with #zwartepietisracisme #repost @bakbasis ・・・ In the Netherlands, BAK's home, threats to and organized violence have been perpetrated against anti-racist organizers and activists who are working to eliminate the Dutch blackface "tradition" of Zwarte Piet. One of the many people being targeted by this violence is Mitchell Esajas @mitch_positivity, current BAK Fellow, who has been targeted for his affiliation with Kick Out Zwarte Piet (KOZP). ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀ BAK fully supports Mitchell and activist work to eliminate racial oppression in the Netherlands and beyond. If you would like to know more about the incidents and protests happening now or to support the people being threatened and physically harmed, please check the KOZP Solidarity Fund, link in bio!