- Oct '19 - Pauwstraat 13A, 3512 TG Utrecht
Now open: Trainings for the Not-Yet (14 Sep 2019–12 Jan 2020) at BAKbasisTrainings for the Not-Yet
An exhibition as a series of trainings for a future of being together otherwise, convened with a multitude of collaborators by Jeanne van Heeswijk and BAK, basis voor actuele kunst, Utrecht
Jeanne van Heeswijk, Laura Raicovich, Adelita Husni-Bey, Patricia Kaersenhout, Shumaila Anwar, Habiba Chrifi-Hammoudi, Joy Mariama Smith, Adrian Piper, Denise Valentine, Nancy Jouwe, Black Quantum Futurism, Chloë Bass, Beatrice Catanzaro, Kolar Aparna, Mehbratu Efrem Gebreab, Yasmine Eid-Sabbagh, Clara Balaguer, Gabriel Fontana, Fran Ilich, Jun Saturay, Ying Que, Bakudapan Food Study Group, Michael Rakowitz, Afrikaanderwijk Coöperatie, Superuse Studios, Freehouse, De Voorkamer, W.A.G.E, Philadelphia Assembled, Staci Bu Shea, Laced-Up Project, Whitney Stark, Carmen Papalia, Zein Nakhoda, Homebaked Community Land Trust (CLT), Homebaked Bakery, Homegrown Collective, Selçuk Balamir, Joska Ottjes, Irene Calabuch Mirón, Ethel Baraona Pohl, We Are Here, Elke Uitentuis, Abdulaal Hussein, Paul de Bruyne, New Women Connectors, Lieneke Dwars, Stranded FM, Welkom in Utrecht, Gabriel Erlach, Ultra-red, Mustapha Seray Bah, Goldsmith.Company, Extinction Rebellion Utrecht, Angel Bat Dawid, the Basic Activist Kitchen
- Jun '19 -
Trainings for the Not-Yet, An exhibition as a series of trainings for a future of being together otherwiseBAK announcement: With great pride and excitement, BAK, basis voor actuele kunst in Utrecht announces Trainings for the Not-Yet, a project convened by artist Jeanne van Heeswijk. An exhibition that unfolds through a series of trainings in civic engagement, radical collectivity, and active empowerment, the project brings together collaborators from various fields and communities to create and practice alternative imaginings of being together in the face of the pressing emergencies that shape the world today.
- Oct '18 - Utrecht
BAK Fellowship 2018/2019Proud to announce to be one of the ten Fellows who got a 2018/2019 research position at BAK, basis voor actuele kunst in Utrecht. I am going to develop a curriculum of #CommunityLearnings and developing test sites to enact trainings for the “Not Yet.” #TrainingForTheNotYet
- Sep '17 - 2525 Pennsylvania Ave, Philadelphia
Philadelphia AssembledPhiladelphia Assembled joins art and civic engagement. Shaped by hundreds of collaborators, it tells a story of radical community building and active resistance. Challenging, inspiring, and as big as the city, Philadelphia Assembled asks: how can we collectively shape our futures?
- Apr '17 - Homebaked, Liverpool
'This is not about gentrification’A cooperative bakery in the shadow of Liverpool FC’s stadium is aiming to transform a derelict terrace into affordable homes for the local community. As Liverpool FC’s Anfield stadium gleams in the April sunshine, the abandoned, steel-shuttered houses cowering in its shadow serve as a poignant reminder of the impact developments can have on their host communities.
- Sep '16 - Veem House for Performance Amsterdam
Book launch What's the Use?What's the Use? Constellations of Art, History, and Knowledge (Valiz, Van Abbemuseum, L'Internationale, 2016), is a collection of essays on the 'uses' of art. The starting point of the Reader is that art is an integral part of social, economic, and political processes, and that it is best understood in dialogue with these contexts, rather than as a 'thing in itself'. In their contributions, artists and writers explore the exchange between art, use, knowledge and history; now and in the past.
- coming up
- wed. 16 oct '19#TFTNY 8 - Decommodifying Housing: How to Get There?
- wed. 16 oct '19#TFTNY 9 - The Diego de la Vega Coffee Co-op Autumn School Training with Fran Ilich
- tue. 22 oct '19#TFTNY 10 - Open Access: Organizing Accessibility from the Grassroots
- tue. 29 oct '19#TFTNY 11 - A Week By & For: Designing Inclusive Spaces
- fri. 1 nov '19#TFTNY 12 - Voices of New Women
- wed. 6 nov '19#TFTNY 13 - (New) Formats of Care in Times of Violence
- sun. 12 jan '20Trainings for the Not-Yet (14 Sep 2019–12 Jan 2020)
- recent events
- sat. 12 oct '19#TFTNY 7 - Care, Accountability, and Relation Training with Whitney Stark
- thu. 10 oct '19#TFTNY 6 - Say YES to Consent Training with Laced-Up Project
- wed. 9 oct '19#TFTNY 4 - Each Step Yields Depth Training with Chloë Bass
- wed. 9 oct '19#TFTNY 5 - More than Friends Training with Staci Bu Shea
- wed. 2 oct '19#TFTNY 3 - Mad About Study Training with Joy Mariama Smith
- thu. 26 sep '19#TFTNY 2 - Unforgetting & Reconnecting: Story Mapping Training with Nancy Jouwe en/and Denise Valentine
- Oct 10, 2019The Basic Activist Kitchen (the BAK) is run by a group of Utrecht-based activists, artists, and researchers with backgrounds in theatre, arts, squatting, organizing, anthropology, history and gender studies. Throughout the course of Trainings for the Not-Yet, the Basic Activist Kitchen organizes daily cooking sessions and meals for trainings participants as well as for passers-by. The BAK follows sustainable principles, choosing ingredients from local suppliers, and prepares vegan and vegetarian meals based on the season. Eating from powerful kitchenware made by @publicinvestigator #wemakesenseofthingsbeingtogether and sitting at furniture constructed with fruit and vegetable crates from the Afrikaander Market and reusable materials designed by Superuse.Studios What ingredients are used and where they originate; what is cooked, with and by whom; what is eaten together, when and why; and who is invited to the table and who is able or willing to join: these are political acts. the Basic Activist Kitchen table is organized as a space for encounters both to debate these questions and to embody them through practice—to train in them, in fact—as a means of shaping-in-common the not-yet. In collaboration with Food for Good, Asia Komarova (Casco and the outsiders), M. G. Lostia and Sofia Fonseca, Willem Geertman Art and Culture Collective, Revolutionaire Eenheid, Sayonara Stutgard, 3K. #BAK #BasicActivistKitchen #food #care #sustainable #leftover #potatoes from the installation ‘Works, Typologies and Capacities’
- Oct 10, 2019Trainings for the Not-Yet, first impressions!!! at @bakbasis voor actuele kunst Thanks to all artists, activists, community groups, installers, the Bak team that made it happen. Special shout-out to my friend @lauraraicovich and Sanne Karssenberg. Trainings started with a wonderful training kick-off by Adelita Husni-Bey followed by Denise Valentine, Nancy Jouwe, Joy Mariama Smith, Chloë Bass, Staci Bu Shea and a training with the Laced-Up Project. More fantastics trainings to follow. Hope to see you soon <3 Jeanne @lauraraicovich , Adelita Husni-Bey @house.of.platitudes , Patricia Kaersenhout, Shumaila Anwar (Initiative for Diversity, Inclusion & Peace (IDIP)), Habiba Chrifi-Hammoudi, Joy Mariama Smith, Adrian Piper, Denise Valentine @storymama01 , @nancyjouwe Jouwe, @blackquantumfuturism (Camae Ayewa and Rasheedah Phillips), Chloe Bass, Beatrice Catanzaro, Kolar Aparna, Mehbratu Efrem Gebreab, Yasmine Eid-Sabbagh (Arab Image Foundation - المؤسّسة العربيّة للصورة), @clara.balaguer and Gabriel Fontana, Fran Ilich, Jun Saturay, Ying Que, Bakudapan Food Study Group, Afrikaander @wijkcooperatie , Super-Studios, Freehouse, De Voorkamer(Pim van der Mijl and Shay Raviv), W.A.G.E, @phlassembled (Toward Sanctuary Dome), Staci Bu Shea (@whereiscasco), Laced-Up Boutique project (Sarah Mobley and Maaike van Dooren), @tarantulaeyes, Carmen Papalia, Zein Nakhoda, Homebaked Community Land Trust (Britt Jurgensen), @homebakedliverpool Anfield Bakery (Angela McKay), Homegrown Collective (Samantha Jones), Selçuk Balamir (de Nieuwe Meent, Code Rood), Joska Ottjes (Bond Precaire Woonvormen), Irene Calabuch Miron, @ethel_baraona, We Are Here, Abdulaal Hussein and Paul de Bruijne, @newwomenconnectors, Lieneke Dwars, @strandedfm, Hellen Welkom In Utrecht, Gabriel Erlach, Ultra-red, Mustapha Seray Bah (Stichting Mowad), Goldsmith & Company., and Extinction Rebellion Utrecht Photograpy (c) Tom Janssen #TFTNY #TrainingsForTheNotYet #BAKbasisvooractuelekunst
- Sep 18, 2019Hu-ta-nay, light up the building. It was a blast. Trainings for the Not-Yet is open and alive! Thanks to all who contributed, participated, visited, to (the opening of) #tftny @bakbasis and the City Staircase
- Sep 9, 2019
- Sep 9, 2019Last works arriving in BAK, including this beautiful plate by @publicinvestigator #ChloeBass. The installment is in full swing, potatoes all over of the place, and 2000+ in the air. Preparing for the Not-Yet and getting ready for the opening of #tftny this Saturday 17.00h #weneedeachothernowmorethanever #trainingsforthenotyet @bakbasis
- Aug 24, 2019Clicking it together! In three weeks, Saturday 14 September 17.00h, I celebrate the opening of Trainings for the Not-Yet @Bakbasis. An exhibition project in collaboration with over 50 (inter)national and local guests, friends, artists, initiatives and communities that evolves through a series of (weekly) trainings in civic engagement, radical collectivity, and active empowerment. The project brings together collaborators from various fields to create and practice alternative imaginings of being together, otherwise. Hope to see you in Utrecht! Jeanne #TrainingsfortheNotYet #TFTNY #BAKbasis #BAKbasisvooractuelekunst #Utrecht #Empowerment #Communitylearnings #Peerlearnings #NotYet #Future #InvaluableTeachings