- Oct '19 - Pauwstraat 13A, 3512 TG Utrecht
Now open: Trainings for the Not-Yet (14 Sep 2019–12 Jan 2020) at BAKbasisTrainings for the Not-Yet
An exhibition as a series of trainings for a future of being together otherwise, convened with a multitude of collaborators by Jeanne van Heeswijk and BAK, basis voor actuele kunst, Utrecht
Jeanne van Heeswijk, Laura Raicovich, Adelita Husni-Bey, Patricia Kaersenhout, Shumaila Anwar, Habiba Chrifi-Hammoudi, Joy Mariama Smith, Adrian Piper, Denise Valentine, Nancy Jouwe, Black Quantum Futurism, Chloë Bass, Beatrice Catanzaro, Kolar Aparna, Mehbratu Efrem Gebreab, Yasmine Eid-Sabbagh, Clara Balaguer, Gabriel Fontana, Fran Ilich, Jun Saturay, Ying Que, Bakudapan Food Study Group, Michael Rakowitz, Afrikaanderwijk Coöperatie, Superuse Studios, Freehouse, De Voorkamer, W.A.G.E, Philadelphia Assembled, Staci Bu Shea, Laced-Up Project, Whitney Stark, Carmen Papalia, Zein Nakhoda, Homebaked Community Land Trust (CLT), Homebaked Bakery, Homegrown Collective, Selçuk Balamir, Joska Ottjes, Irene Calabuch Mirón, Ethel Baraona Pohl, We Are Here, Elke Uitentuis, Abdulaal Hussein, Paul de Bruyne, New Women Connectors, Lieneke Dwars, Stranded FM, Welkom in Utrecht, Gabriel Erlach, Ultra-red, Mustapha Seray Bah, Goldsmith.Company, Extinction Rebellion Utrecht, Angel Bat Dawid, the Basic Activist Kitchen
- Jun '19 -
Trainings for the Not-Yet, An exhibition as a series of trainings for a future of being together otherwiseBAK announcement: With great pride and excitement, BAK, basis voor actuele kunst in Utrecht announces Trainings for the Not-Yet, a project convened by artist Jeanne van Heeswijk. An exhibition that unfolds through a series of trainings in civic engagement, radical collectivity, and active empowerment, the project brings together collaborators from various fields and communities to create and practice alternative imaginings of being together in the face of the pressing emergencies that shape the world today.
- Oct '18 - Utrecht
BAK Fellowship 2018/2019Proud to announce to be one of the ten Fellows who got a 2018/2019 research position at BAK, basis voor actuele kunst in Utrecht. I am going to develop a curriculum of #CommunityLearnings and developing test sites to enact trainings for the “Not Yet.” #TrainingForTheNotYet
- Sep '17 - 2525 Pennsylvania Ave, Philadelphia
Philadelphia AssembledPhiladelphia Assembled joins art and civic engagement. Shaped by hundreds of collaborators, it tells a story of radical community building and active resistance. Challenging, inspiring, and as big as the city, Philadelphia Assembled asks: how can we collectively shape our futures?
- Apr '17 - Homebaked, Liverpool
'This is not about gentrification’A cooperative bakery in the shadow of Liverpool FC’s stadium is aiming to transform a derelict terrace into affordable homes for the local community. As Liverpool FC’s Anfield stadium gleams in the April sunshine, the abandoned, steel-shuttered houses cowering in its shadow serve as a poignant reminder of the impact developments can have on their host communities.
- Sep '16 - Veem House for Performance Amsterdam
Book launch What's the Use?What's the Use? Constellations of Art, History, and Knowledge (Valiz, Van Abbemuseum, L'Internationale, 2016), is a collection of essays on the 'uses' of art. The starting point of the Reader is that art is an integral part of social, economic, and political processes, and that it is best understood in dialogue with these contexts, rather than as a 'thing in itself'. In their contributions, artists and writers explore the exchange between art, use, knowledge and history; now and in the past.
- coming up
- wed. 13 nov '19#TFTNY 14 - Propositions #9: Propositions #9: Deserting from the Culture Wars Trainings, lectures, and panel discussions, co-convened with Sven Lütticken
- wed. 20 nov '19#TFTNY 15 - Community Futurisms Training with Black Quantum Futurism
- wed. 27 nov '19#TFTNY 16 - An investigation into collective work-processes for self-determination Training with Hamada al-Joumah and Yasmine Eid-Sabbagh
- wed. 27 nov '19#TFTNY 17 - QFCPSSBBXOXO: Queer and Feminist Physical and Critical Self-Defense and Support Bloc of Bodies Training with a subdivision of To Be Determined (Clara Balaguer and Gabriel Fontana)
- wed. 4 dec '19#TFTNY 17 - Disrupting Neoliberal Urban Governance: New Organizational Forms for the Immediate Future Training with Urban Front (David Harvey and Miguel Robles-Durán)
- sun. 12 jan '20Trainings for the Not-Yet (14 Sep 2019–12 Jan 2020)
- recent events
- wed. 6 nov '19#TFTNY 13 - (New) Formats of Care in Times of Violence
- tue. 5 nov '19Training for the Not-Yet lecture - Oslo
- fri. 1 nov '19#TFTNY 12 - Voices of New Women
- tue. 29 oct '19#TFTNY 11 - A Week By & For: Designing Inclusive Spaces
- tue. 22 oct '19#TFTNY 10 - Open Access: Organizing Accessibility from the Grassroots
- wed. 16 oct '19#TFTNY 8 - Decommodifying Housing: How to Get There?
- Nov 4, 2019repost @bakbasis From 6-8 Nov, we welcome artist @patriciakaersenhout at BAK! Kaersenhout will give a training centering on the question: How does one care in times of violence? ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ The training uses storytelling, collective embroidery and healing, and specifically invites only (those who identify as) men to join. This is a conscious choice by Kaersenhout, as the issue of violence against women is often highlighted from a woman’s perspective. Participants will rethink the role of men in relationships, and concepts such as masculinity. The training results in a public program, open to all, on Friday 8 Nov (14-16 hrs): a performance with Kaersenhout and musician Angel Bat Dawid, in collaboration with @le_guess_who . Visitors are invited to watch & take part in a collective embroidery session, a repetitive, powerful act of repair, accompanied by Angel Bat Dawid’s healing music. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀ More info & tickets via FB link in bio. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀
- Oct 27, 2019#today #2yearsago #thowback to @Blackquantumfuturism ’s 7th Annual @afrofuturistaffair Costume Ball organized during @phlassembled Black Quantum Futurism is a multidisciplinary collaboration between poet, musician, and activist Camae Ayewa and artist, author, and activist Rasheedah Phillips. With a Black futurist approach to time and space, they explore the intersections of imagination, fiction, creative media, DIY-aesthetics, and activism in marginalized communities, focusing on the recuperation and preservation of communal memories, histories, and stories. The collective creates community-based events, experimental music projects, performances, exhibitions, zines, and essays. #BlackQuantumFuturism is based in Philadelphia. #BQF is also taking part in #Trainingsforthenotyet with an installation and training! “Like politics and the weather, all time is local.” This is how Black Quantum Futurism’s composite installation with videos and objects considers time and temporality’s intimate relationship to locality. The installation seeks to disrupt the conventions of linear time that reign normatively over the everyday. Building upon the legacy of the Civil Rights and Black Liberation movements, as well as Black futurist philosophy and aesthetics, its constituent works contemplate multiple underexplored histories, nows, and futures. #CommunityFuturisms #TFTNY The fifteenth training as part of Trainings for the Not-Yet is with Black Quantum Futurism, and takes places 20-22 November 2019. This training consists of neighbourhood walks, freestyle poetry, soundscapes, building a toolbox to help reverse gentrification, interactive lecture, and building quantum event maps and quantum time capsules.
- Oct 22, 2019Good filled/looking Agaw Bitin yesterday evening. At the finissage of Wider Perspectives #4. I jumped for a kitchen amulet and snacks. Got it! @clara.balaguer , Nadia Balaguer, Asnate Bočkis, Lisa Kuglitsch and Katarina Jazbec presented as fourth in the serie of #WiderPerspectives , To Be Determined's subdivision, Pork Towers Temporary Ethnographic Catering Collective presented Agaw Bitin, a project on resistance, assimilation, food, and care. Still a few days on view in Rotterdam @gemaalopzuid At 27 Nov-1 Dec @clara.balaguer also gives a training with a subdivision of To Be Determined (Clara Balaguer and Gabriel Fontana). This training focuses on deep listening, voice activation, team forming, and physical exercises to map limits and define strategies for protecting bodies. #TFTNY
- Oct 22, 2019Amazing first day at the 10th #TFTNY led by Carmen Papalia. Open Access: Organizing Accessibility from the Grassroots #InterdependeceIsCentralToARadicalRestructuringOfPower #OpenAcces #trainingsforthenotyet @bakbasis
- Oct 20, 2019Cristina Gamboa from Lacol annotating ‘WeAreHere’ on the wall #dreamscape How do we undo and get rid of a model in which housing has become a commodity? In other words, how do we decommodify housing? The training “Decommodifying Housing: How to Get There?” gathered the past week(end) different collectives that work toward radical alternatives of making housing livable, affordable, and egalitarian, and they will share their experiences and strategies: Homebaked Community Land Trust (CLT) (Britt Jürgensen), De Nieuwe Meent (Selçuk Balamir), de Kasko (Joska Ottjes), Refugee Collective We Are Here @wearehere.nl, Ethel Baraona Pohl @ethel_baraona, Cristina Gamboa, and Irene Calabuch Mirón. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ #TrainingsfortheNotYet #TFTNY #WeAreHere
- Oct 20, 2019Continuing the housing conversations on the #Citystaircase #TrainingsfortheNotYet #TFTNY