- Jun '19 -
Trainings for the Not-Yet, An exhibition as a series of trainings for a future of being together otherwiseBAK announcement: With great pride and excitement, BAK, basis voor actuele kunst in Utrecht announces Trainings for the Not-Yet, a project convened by artist Jeanne van Heeswijk. An exhibition that unfolds through a series of trainings in civic engagement, radical collectivity, and active empowerment, the project brings together collaborators from various fields and communities to create and practice alternative imaginings of being together in the face of the pressing emergencies that shape the world today.
- Oct '18 - Utrecht
BAK Fellowship 2018/2019Proud to announce to be one of the ten Fellows who got a 2018/2019 research position at BAK, basis voor actuele kunst in Utrecht. I am going to develop a curriculum of #CommunityLearnings and developing test sites to enact trainings for the “Not Yet.” #TrainingForTheNotYet
- Sep '17 - 2525 Pennsylvania Ave, Philadelphia
Philadelphia AssembledPhiladelphia Assembled joins art and civic engagement. Shaped by hundreds of collaborators, it tells a story of radical community building and active resistance. Challenging, inspiring, and as big as the city, Philadelphia Assembled asks: how can we collectively shape our futures?
- Apr '17 - Homebaked, Liverpool
'This is not about gentrification’A cooperative bakery in the shadow of Liverpool FC’s stadium is aiming to transform a derelict terrace into affordable homes for the local community. As Liverpool FC’s Anfield stadium gleams in the April sunshine, the abandoned, steel-shuttered houses cowering in its shadow serve as a poignant reminder of the impact developments can have on their host communities.
- Sep '16 - Veem House for Performance Amsterdam
Book launch What's the Use?What's the Use? Constellations of Art, History, and Knowledge (Valiz, Van Abbemuseum, L'Internationale, 2016), is a collection of essays on the 'uses' of art. The starting point of the Reader is that art is an integral part of social, economic, and political processes, and that it is best understood in dialogue with these contexts, rather than as a 'thing in itself'. In their contributions, artists and writers explore the exchange between art, use, knowledge and history; now and in the past.
- Sep '16 - Witte de With Center for Contemporary Art, Rotterdam
ROTTERDAM CULTURAL HISTORIES #9: MANIFESTA 1 REVISITEDThursday 8 September from 20.00 hrs, Rotterdam Cultural Histories #9: Manifesta 1 Revisited will open in the shared space between TENT and Witte de With. This ninth edition revolves around Manifesta 1, the travelling European biennale that had its very first edition in Rotterdam from June to August 1996. Through never before shown archival and video material, this edition of Rotterdam Cultural Histories aims to shed some light on the coming about of the first Manifesta Biennale and the artworks shown.
- recent events
- sat. 22 jun '19Propositions #8: I Wanna Be Adored (the Non-Fascist Remix)
- fri. 21 jun '19Yallah Sabaya
- sun. 16 jun '19Public Faculty no. 13
- thu. 23 may '19With For About: Art & Democracy
- sat. 11 may '19Symposium at Hospitalhof Stuttgart - 24-hour opening event
- fri. 12 apr '19Let’s Mobilize for a Europe We Want: Voices of New Women
- Jul 1, 2019#push and #talk Public Faculty no. 13 took place last month in Helsinki. We gathered for 4 days and questioned and embodied futures concerned with care, commitment, and togetherness. At distinct rock formations in Vallila. #Moving #BeingWith #Becoming #Committing and #Bonding #PublicFaculty no. 13 is a collaboration between Jeanne van Heeswijk, Iida Nissinen, Kaisa Kukkonen, Jemina Lindholm, Fatima Usman, Vishnu Vardhani, Cáit Ní Dhuinnín and others. Commissioned and co-produced by @publicsfi with m-cult.
- Jun 25, 2019When your garden becomes the classroom #Peerlearnings #EvaluatingIWannaBeAdoredtheNon-FascistRemix
- Jun 22, 2019Tonight!!! Starting from 7pm. @bakbasis, and the BAK Fellows are throwing a party otherwise, to mark the culmination of the BAK post-academic program 2018/2019. Of which I was part together w/ writer, researcher, and curator Katayoun Arian; anthropologist, curator, and activist Jessica de Abreu; artist, activist, and womanist Patricia Kaersenhout; artist, writer, and curator Charl Landvreugd; artist and educator Haseeb Ahmed; curator and educator Thiago de Paula Souza; artist Yasmine Eid-Sabbagh; researcher and theorist Lukáš Likavčan; and artist, educator, and researcher Mick Wilson. #Peerlearnings And where I developed research for #TrainingsfortheNotYet. Propositions #8: I Wanna Be Adored (the Non-Fascist Remix) an evening program of performance, music, installations, hosted space, dancing, bites, and celebration. Propositions #8 takes cues from alternative ways of coming together, whether through collective organizing, artistic practice, study groups, or the dance floor, and is inspired by legacies of club and night culture in which less traditional sites of knowledge production, such as the body, the party, the collective experience, sonic environments, and dance, are key. Spaces that center embodied celebration and enjoyment along with communal knowledges and negotiations can offer tangible tools, imaginaries, and possibilities for fostering joyful and critical acknowledgement, release, healing, conviviality, artistic practice, and expression—modeling practices for being together otherwise. Join us tonight! Lets celebrate! #BAKfellowship #BAKbasis
- Jun 17, 2019@HomebakedLiverpool building houses *in the news* #MoreThanAPie #HousingStruggles #CooperativeEconomies #TrainingfortheNotYet Link in bio
- Jun 5, 2019Becoming Collective (at the End of Time) With For About: Art & Democracy conference. Two weeks ago in St Helens @ourheartofglass #WithForAbout #repost @jocapper ・・・ Always bowled over by seeing this one. Thank you @jeanneworks for bringing us back to life ❤️ @ourheartofglass
- Jun 1, 2019#WiderPerspectives on the Afrikaanderwijk in the Gemaal op Zuid w/#SchaduwkabinetvanZuid #repost @gemaalopzuid ・・・ Vorige week hadden we het “schaduwkabinet” van Zuid + gasten op bezoek in het kader van de Wider Perspectives tentoonstellingsserie. Deze groep ging, onder leiding van programmamaker Malique Mohamud, in gesprek en op zoek naar vormen om de huidige leefwereld van mensen op Zuid en haar diversiteit kracht bij te kunnen zetten met alle veranderingen die op komst zijn. Vandaag was het tweede werk uit de Wider Perspectives serie, gemaakt door Studio L A, nog voor het laatst te zien in het Gemaal. Foto’s door @lavinia_xausa #widerperspectives #border #schaduwkabinet #publiekprogramma